Open Water Swimming is one of the fastest growing mass participation sports at the present time. In 2010 Rick Kiddle and Martin Allen founded the National Open Water Coaching Association (NOWCA) to help improve safety standards at open water swimming venues around Great Britain.
NOWCA now has a growing community of members, with over 3000 swimmers registered nationally, with a desire to swim at NOWCA accredited lakes.
Coaching Director Rick Kiddle has written the first ever Open Water Coaching Manual for coaches and with the backing from national companies such as the STA (Swimming Teachers Association) and RLSS (Royal Life Saving Society) they have launched this to swimming and triathlon teachers and coaches. The education programme NOWCA is building will shape the future for coaches to engage and educate anyone wishing to swim from pool to open water.
- NOWCA ensures the highest standards of safety, coaching and facilities at NOWCA accredited lakes; attracting open water swimmers through reassurance of the quality of service they can expect to experience
- Provides information and services related to Open Water Swimming via the NOWCA website; incorporating dedicated web pages for NOWCA accredited lake
- Provides NOWCA membership benefits to open water swimmers for just £6.50 per year; encouraging more Open Water Swimming across the UK and raising valuable money for chosen charitie
- Manages online payments for discounted Lake swims to members; resulting in more swimmers, swimming more often at NOWCA lakes
- Provides training and certification to Open Water Swimming and Triathlon coaches and other water based sports; with resulting qualifications recognised by major bodies, including the STA and RLSS
Facilitates the running of a free weekly NOWCA National Swim Event across all accredited Lakes, utilising the NOWCA-I-System; encouraging regular Lake visits by members
- Provides provision for discounted rates of insurance for open water swimming and coaching at NOWCA Lakes
- Provides and manages the NOWCA i System; an iD and timing tag with 4 key functions
- Swimmer Safety: The system enables Lake managers to have up to the minute details of exactly who is in the lake at any one time. In the case of an emergency, a swimmers personal details and medical history can then be immediately accessed via the onsite NOWCA i System database
- NOWCA National Swim Events: The system enables swim time data for all participants to be recorded and uploaded to the NOWCA website under the relevant Lakes’ page, automatically each week
- Race Recording: The system can be used to capture data for any race events including open water swims, aquathlons and triathlons, in addition to the NOWCA National Swim event
- Daily Data Capture: All swimmers visiting a Lake can be clocked ‘in' and ‘out’ of the water, enabling valuable usage data for individual Lakes to be captured automatically